Friday, November 16, 2012

5 Dolla Billz - Lincoln Review

I have a feeling this review is mostly going to be me apologizing because it seems like everyone is sucking Lincoln's dick right now.  Steven Spielberg's latest features the world's finest actor portraying the world's finest American; there seems to be a bigger-than-life mystique to the film before even seeing it based on the level of talent and the Oscar-bait nature of the material.  I have to say, this film looks amazing.  The period detail sucks you right in, and if it weren't for me recognizing all the faces in the cast I would've believed I was in the Civil War.  Long time Spielberg cinematographer Janusz Kaminski is doing phenominal work here, often making Lincoln look like the stoic icon that he should be.  Technically this film is the work of a master - but... (here we go) for me at least, it didn't engage on an emotional level.

The problem with a film based on historical events is that you know what's coming.  Lincoln takes place in the last four months of Lincoln's presidency, while he was fighting to pass the 13th amendment which would abolish slavery.  Spoilers for real life: he of course passes it, but the film tries so hard to ratchet up the tension.  Oooh, will he get all the "ayes" he needs?  It's kind of like watching a cheesy sports flick - you know the Mighty Ducks or whoever is going to win, so it just brings a false sense of dread when you think the odds are stacked against them.  Now, I know this may sound stupid because hey, I still love Spider-Man even though I know he won't die at the end, but here the entire movie consists of people talking about getting this damn amendment passed.

History buffs will love this film, but personally I found it pretty dry.  It all depends on what you go to the movies for, but I couldn't help myself from yawning.

Rating: C+

*I apologize if the blog title is stupid and/or insensitive
*I must also add that my blogs are a reflection of my own tastes, nothing more
*I must also add that there was not enough vampire hunting in this film

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...