Sunday, November 25, 2012

100th Post!

This is officially my 100th post to my blog. Woo hoo.  Thanks to everyone who has ever read it; I have fun writing it, so if someone out there enjoys reading it then my life is validated and I won't hang myself.  I wasn't sure what to make of this centennial post, but  2013 is just 'round the corner and Oscar nominees will be announced in mere months, so why not predict what I'll be predicting?  I'm just going to place my bets on the major categories on who/what will be nominated; it might be fun!  (I emphasize might).

*Pic unrelated to anything

BEST PICTURE

Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
The Sessions
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

It's tough to choose at this point, but it's safe to say Lincoln, Life of Pi, Argo, and Les Mis are "locked in."  Kathryn Bigelow and David O. Russel are Academy-friendly so their Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook are solid bets as well.  The Sessions, The Master, and Moonrise Kingdom are the dark horses, but to me, all sparkle with that Academy glow already.  I'm sorry fellow Tarantino fans, I just don't think Django Unchained will make it.  I also think Skyfall and The Hobbit won't see a nomination either, but I'd be happy to be wrong.


BEST ACTOR (LEADING ROLE)

Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Denzel Washington, Flight
Anthony Hopkins, Hitchcock

Phoenix and Day-Lewis are the obvious candidates here, and Hawkes has an easily nominateable turn as a man struggling in an iron lung.  The dark horses for me are Denzel, and with an even lesser chance, Hopkins as Hitch.


BEST ACTRESS (LEADING ROLE)

Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Keira Knightley, Anna Karenina
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

This category was the toughest for me, as Zero Dark Thirty and Les Mis have yet to be released.  These are all strong female performances, many of whom are Academy-friendly names.  Quvenzhane Wallis is young, but much like Gabourey Sidibe in Precious, it's the type of breakthrough role that is sure to get nominated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...