Thursday, January 14, 2016

10 Biggest Oscar Snubs of 2016

While the voting board for the Oscars, consisting of thousands of industry professionals, is much more "legit" than that of the 90-some-odd journalists that make up the Oscar's weird step-child, the Golden Globes, the Academy still gets things wrong every year. Sometimes really deserving movies and performances get left by the curb and have to walk home with that sad Incredible Hulk hitchhiking music playing in the background. The following are, in my opinion, the top ten snubbiest Oscar snubs of 2016!


10. The Good Dinosaur for Best Animated Feature

Although Pixar got onto the list with Inside Out, their holiday release, The Good Dinosaur, was left for extinction. Whether or not you dug the movie (I liked it despite its very simple story), the environmental animation was stunning and it does sting a little when the typically Oscar-friendly animation studio doesn't automatically earn a spot on the nomination list.


9. Inside Out for Original Score

Michael Giacchino's score for Inside Out was amazing, and it's surprising not to see his name on the list because he actually won for Pete Docter's Up back in 2009. I think a little red character with Lewis Black's voice is in charge of Giacchino's "control console" right now.


8. "See You Again" for Best Original Song

While I wasn't personally a huge fan of this song from Wiz Khalifa, it's still a touching tribute to Paul Walker after his tragic death, and was one of the most popular songs of last year. I can't believe this didn't make the cut, while that song from 50 Shades of Grey did.


7. NOTHING for Beasts of No Nation

I thought maybe we'd see the first nominated Netflix movie this year, but nope; Beasts of No Nation completely went under the radar, but deserves to be seen! I think the Academy voters need to re-check their queues.


6. Quentin Tarantino snubbed for BOTH Director and Original Screenplay

I'm especially surprised that Tarantino wasn't nominated for his screenplay, a section of the awards where he always seems to have a seat reserved for him. His bold choices both on the page and behind the camera (like deciding to keep the film more or less in one location, but using the widest camera lens possible) were worthy of acknowledgement in my opinion, even if The Hateful Eight was my least favorite of his films.


5. Crimson Peak for Production Design

I think Crimson Peak deserved a shot at both this and the Costume Design categories; I was disappointed by the film, but you can't argue that it wasn't immaculately designed. It featured one of the coolest haunted houses of recent memory!


4. Carol snubbed for Best Picture

I haven't seen it yet, but with all the awards buzz surrounding this film, I can't believe it didn't make the Best Picture list! Usually period dramas go over well with the Academy, too.


3. The Peanuts Movie for Animated Feature

I thought for sure this would make the list. It's a great little ode to the Charles Schultz comic series, and has some of the most unique animation I've ever seen, combining 3D animation with a distinctly 2D style. Good grief!



2. Ridley Scott for Best Director for The Martian

The Martian marked kind of a comeback for Ridley Scott (although I really enjoyed Prometheus, many considered it a step in the wrong direction for the Alien series), and considering the level of difficulty in shooting a space-drama blockbuster (with the lack of gravity and whatnot), I thought for sure Scott would be nominated. Great Scott!


1. Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs for Best Adapted Screenplay

Aaron Sorkin, again, seemed like a shoo-in; his screenplay cleverly subverted the typical "biopic" life-to-death formula, and instead focused the life of Steve Jobs on a series of his product launches. Plus it's filled with typically Sork-ian dialogue that kept a movie about product launches fresh and snappy and as thrilling as any action movie. I guess the Academy just couldn't handle his screenplay.

And that's a wrap! Overall though, despite these snubs, I was happy with the nominations - and I'm overjoyed to see all the love Fury Road got! We'll see who actually wins on February 28, and I'll post my Oscar prediction blog sometime closer to that date. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...