Thursday, January 10, 2013

10 Biggest Oscar Snubs of 2013

Wow, I really don't understand the Academy sometimes.  Here are some of the biggest snubs/unwanted surprises from this year's slew of nominees.


10.  Leonardo DiCaprio snubbed for Django Unchained

Well, I wasn't expecting Tarantino's film to get much in the way of nominations, and I'm happy to see that it's up for Best Picture, but I guess it wasn't Dicaprio's year.  Having never won before, I thought he could've taken it home, but nope. Alan Arkin's performance was just so powerful and moving.


9.  Jack Black snubbed for Bernie

OK, maybe this was never going to happen, but it saddens me.  Just like how Moneyball legitimized Jonah Hill, I think a nomination would've given Jack Black the extra credit he deserves.  He may not be getting the best roles lately, but he's a hugely talented guy with a lot of potential.


8.  Tarantino snubbed

This year's directors category is the biggest snub-fest there is.  While I'm glad to see a couple unexpected entries like Ben Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Haneke for Amour, it just seems like a popularity contest.  Tarantino will never win, but us fans can just cross our fingers that he might be redeemed for his awful Inglourious Basterds snubbing with a win for best original screenplay (though it's unlikely).


7. The Imposter for Best Documentary Feature

OK, I haven't seen the other nominees yet, but I loved this movie too much to not include it on the snub list.


6.  Ann Dowd for Best (not-sure-if-supporting) Actress

I mean, if Christoph Waltz is a supporting character in Django (even though he probably is as equal to Django as a main character) then I think Dowd is "supporting" as well in Compliance, and if that's the case, what the hell is Jacki Weaver doing on the nominee list.  I barely even remember her character in Silver Linings Playbook!


5.  Tom Hooper snubbed

Big surprise here - I thought Les Mis would be an Academy darling, but guess not.  The close-ups must have disoriented the old Academy voters.


4.  NOTHING for The Dark Knight Rises

Think what you want about it, but TDKR should've been up for some technical awards. I may not have a full understanding of the smaller categories, but I'm pretty sure that The Dark Knight Rises had better sound mixing than Lincoln.


3.  Kathryn Bigelow snubbed

While I wasn't as big a fan of Zero Dark Thirty as many, I sure as hell wasn't expecting this.  Some people believe it may have had to do with the politics she used in the film and how it depicts torture. Yup, that's why "safe" fare like Lincoln and The Artist will continue to win, while more mature flicks like this get left to dry.


2.  John Hawkes in The Sessions

If you look me in the eye and tell me in all seriousness that Bradley Cooper deserves a nomination more than John Hawkes, I will hunt you like wild game and brandish your head on a golden plate to hang above my fireplace.


1.  Ben Affleck snubbed

This is the biggest shock of all.  Before today I thought for sure that Argo would win Best Picture, but it looks like Lincoln might come out on top.  The only positive I can think that will come of this is that Affleck may no longer be interested in these Oscar-type films and will run towards the Justice League movie like a fly on a rib roast.

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

That's all I could think of off the top of my head -- did you have a personal snub that upset you?  At least I can sleep at night knowing Paranorman wasn't snubbed in the animated category.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...