Saturday, April 28, 2012

What I've Been Watching (4/28/12)

Hey guys, instead of writing full reviews I'm just going to post a short blog on the last few movies I've seen.

A couple weeks ago I saw the documentary Bully, which follows a handful of bully victims and their families.  The movie was pretty well handled, but with very little relief from the hard emotional subject matter it was tough to sit through and without any interviews with the bullies themselves it felt unbalanced at times; it would've been interesting to hear their perspective.  It's a solid doc though, and I felt my hands clenching when I had to listen to some of the school officials on the matter.  Next I saw the latest from Aardman Animation (the team behind Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run), The Pirates! Band of Misfits.  The film was witty at times and the animation was remarkably detailed, but the story was pretty slight and there was far less swashbuckling than I would have anticipated.  Lastly I caught a screening of Sound of My Voice, from first-time director Zal Batmanglij and starring Another Earth's Brit Marling as a cult leader supposedly from the future.  It's one of those vague movies where the answers are never given to you, sometimes infuriatingly so.  Specific scenes can be full of suspense, and multiple genres are balanced throughout the film (...or are they?  We never really know what the genre is) which is a feat considering its micro-budget.

Sorry for the slight review(s), if you can even call them that. I'll probably write a bigger one for The Avengers since I know a lot of people are psyched for that.  Thanks for reading, bye bye.

  Bully                                     The Pirates!                          Sound of My Voice
Rating: B                              Rating: B-                              Rating: B 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...